Masonry columns and pilasters are often used in masonry buildings to carry large, concentrated loads, and, for pilasters, to support walls subjected to out-of-plane loads. Required detailing of these elements will be reviewed and strength design provisions will be introduced for these elements. This session of also looks at several sample masonry buildings to discuss system behavior and overall design methodology for masonry structures.
- Introduce masonry column and pilaster elements
- Discuss required detailing of columns and pilasters
- Review the design of masonry columns
- Review the design masonry pilasters
- Discuss behavior of masonry building systems
- Introduce an overall design methodology for masonry structures
View other courses in the Strength Design of Masonry series or purchase the Strength Design of Masonry Bundle to access all 6 and save $30 compared to buying them separately.
Presenter: John Hochwalt, PE, SE, KPFF Consulting Engineers
Date Presented: March 3, 2021
Credit: 1 AIA LU / 1 PDH / 0.10 CEU
AIA Course Number: TMSSD05
Submit the attendance form on this page after completing an eligible course to receive AIA credit.